Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Week 1 Storytelling: Johnny's Birthday

"PAT-A-CAKE, pat-a-cake, baker's man! (So I will, master), as fast as I can: Pat it, and prick it, and mark it with T, Put in the oven for Tommy and me."

(traditional nursery rhyme)

The Nursery Rhyme Book, edited by Andrew Lang and illustrated by L. Leslie Brooke (1897). Web source: Project Gutenberg.


There once was a little boy named Johnny who lived in a small, quiet town. All those living in the town knew Tommy to be extremely impatient. Everyone knew that his birthday was coming up in less than a week, because he did not let a moment pass by without announcing it for all to hear. He absolutely could not wait to be seven!

Even his best friend, Tommy, was getting tired of hearing about it. However, Tommy knew that he only had to hear about it for another week and then would be free of hearing about Johnny's birthday for at least another 8 months. Also, how could Tommy complain when he knew that he would get to eat some of Johnny's birthday cake?

Ah, birthday cake; the local baker's specialty. Golden, baked to perfection. Topped with delicious frosting. Each bite leaving you wanting more. Knowing that one would be able to eat the baker's  cake in less than a week was something anyone would be impatient about.

The days went by, each seeming to be longer and longer. Johnny was still as impatient as can be, which of course got worse by each passing moment. However, the day finally came and Johnny turned seven!

He woke up in the morning, eager to get out of bed and celebrate with the world. But first, he had to meet up with his best friend, Tommy. He and Tommy spent the entire morning together, laughing and celebrating Johnny's birthday. All they could talk about was the baker's cake they were going to have that night. It had been on their minds for the past month. Waiting for the bakery to open felt to them like an eternity.

Noon finally rolled around, and of course Johnny was the first in line.

"You made it! I was worried you wouldn't be here," the baker joked as Johnny rushed into the store.

"Pat-a-cake, pat-a-cake, baker's man," Johnny screamed with excitement, "pat it, and prick it, and mark it with T, Put in the oven for Tommy and me."

The baker gladly agreed and made the most delicious birthday cake Johnny had ever tasted.

Tommy and Johnny finished off the night celebrating Johnny's birthday with the last bite of cake.
"I can't wait until next year," Johnny sighed.

Photo of a man using a balance to measure a mass of flour. Source: Wikipedia

Author's Note:
This nursery rhyme was one I had heard growing up. It is about someone demanding a cake from a baker. The baker complies, agreeing to make the cake as fast as he can.

I got the idea for my story from the words in the nursery rhyme. The quickness of the baker reminded me of impatience, which is why the person in the story requesting the cake is young and eager to get his cake. I decided to make Tommy his best friend so they could share in the delicious cake together, because I believe that enjoying cake with friends always sounds better than enjoying cake alone.

I used this image because it is of a baker diligently making the perfect cake, which is how I imagined the baker in my story making his cake. He's measuring out everything necessary to ensure the success of his masterpiece of a cake.

I chose this nursery rhyme because I have been craving cake for the past few days; enough that I was inspired to write a short story about it. The delicious cake described in the story is exactly what I have wanted to eat. Hopefully soon I can taste a great baker's cake!

3 comments:

  1. If this nursery rhyme doesn't take me back to my childhood, then I don't know what will. My mom sang this to me so many times. There could be a strong correlation between this song to my love for cake today. As a child I never made the connection of the baker being so impatient, I only saw a cake. Your use of a child wanting a cake so quickly is great! I can relate to this story so well. I also see no flaw in your reasoning for choosing this rhyme. Cake is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey again Kelsey, Wow that Nursery rhyme sure does take you back in time to your childhood. I really did not know what the rhyme meant growing up but I would most definitely hear it a lot. The way you connected the story with the rhyme is really good and interesting! It really brings out a story from the nursery rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelsey,
    it's me again!
    Your vocabulary choice in your story was really great! It was precise and to the point. It helps the reader really understand what is going on in the story. I was a little confused on the character development though. I didn't understand why the baker marked the cake with a T if the cake was for Johny. I would have probably switched the names to make a little more sense. I did like the dialogue in your story. You used just the right amount to let the readers understand the dynamic between the two characters. Also I like how you incorporated the thoughts of everyone to really understand how they viewed this crazy kid who was way too excited about his birthday.
    The way you set up the story was pretty good too. It could fit into most time periods. Overall great ideas on expanding plot in the right way.

    ReplyDelete