Monday, August 31, 2015

Growth Mindset

I had never heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset before this.

I have learned a lot about my own learning while at OU. I have found that I enjoy learning a little bit about a wide variety of subjects. My biggest challenges as I set about learning new things is realizing that I will have to learn more than I want to know and explore deeper than what initially sparks my interest.

I immediately thought about how I see myself on the spectrum of growth-fixed mindset in my life outside of the classroom. During the summer, I am involved in Drum Corps International. I am in one of multiple groups who tour the country essentially performing a professional marching band show. The time period extends from the end of may until the beginning of August. We rehearse our ten minute anywhere from 10-14 hours a day and only take breaks (30 minutes to an hour) to eat. This experience turns the performers from fixed mindset individuals to growth mindset people. It is such an activity that you can't be in a fixed mindset. With so much rehearsal focused on making a ten minute show near perfect, you have to always realize there is room to grow and room to make something better. By doing this so intensely for such a long period of time, you go through changes in yourself as well. You come back from the summer a more growth minded person altogether. There's always room to grow and room to learn. Nothing is ever perfect. However, it's not about perfection, but the perfect approach.

My personal learning goals for this semester is to learn more about things outside of the classroom. I'm not in any classes that relate to what I would like to do when I graduate, so I want to dive into my passions and learn more about those so that I don't get overwhelmed with subjects I am less passionate about. I actually really enjoy this class because I am learning more about myself and different styles of learning and organization that are applicable to all of my classes and life in general.




 
Meme reflecting the Growth Mindset. Source: Growth Mindset Memes.

I included this image to go along with what I do in the summer. The more you practice, the better you get. Even if you don't always see the change. It can be subtle, but it always occurs. There is always room for growth and improvement through practice.



No comments:

Post a Comment