Monday, October 19, 2015

Essay: How Things Come to Be in Tejas Legends

This week was cool because I got to read a lot of stories in the Tejas Legends. Something that stuck out to me was how many of them included tales of how things came to be/how they came to exist. I love stories like this because it shows the character and creativity of humans and cultures. It tells of how things came to exist and why they have certain traits. I admire the creativity of these stories and aspire to one day be able to tell stories just as well.  The two stories that I found the most interesting were Why Hummingbirds Drink Only Dew and Maidens Who Broke a Drought. The first told a magnificent tale of why hummingbirds only drink dew, revealing the character of the hummingbird along the way. The story dove into the hummingbird's background and showed the events that occurred in order to secure the hummingbird's dew-drinking fate. The other showed how the end of one form of life can transfer into something even more beautiful and live on forever. This one was a bit more depressing, but still showed how something came into being in a lovely manner.
I liked the style of these stories (and the Tejas Legends in general). They were written in a way that kept me entertained. I also appreciate how the title told what the story would be about/what specific thing would be described, yet the true meaning would not come until the very end. This tactic is what kept me engaged and reading. These stories are interesting, because it always seems like the stories have absolutely nothing to do with the title, yet in the end it always comes down to why something occurs or how something came into existence. The creativity to produce these stories is high and very admirable. I hope there are more like these as the semester continues!

Hummingbird. Source: Wikipedia

Reading Unit:

Myth-Folklore Unit: Tejas Legends

No comments:

Post a Comment