Monday, October 19, 2015

Reading Diary B: Tejas Legends

Myth-Folklore Unit: Tejas Legends

Why Hummingbirds Drink Only Dew 

Hummingbirds not drinking the water they bathe in is probably smart for their health. I relate to this story because I feel like that's how my friends would act in bets. Making and playing sneaky tricks to technically win, but maybe not in the most ethical way. It's cool to see that even though he was sort of tricked that he still stayed true to his word, though! The hummingbird seems like a good character who probably (and hopefully) learned his lesson about gambling.

How Sickness Entered the World 

This story legit freaked me out and made me uncomfortable. Imagining that many snake eggs and thinking of one next to me was gross. And that they hatched sickness - how awful. The storytelling and creativity was good, but I didn't like the story.

Maidens Who Broke a Drought

Though this was a sad story of the girls ending their human lives, it was cool to read about how they were transformed and honored forever. Again, like I stated in my reading diary A, I love to read about how different people and cultures talk about how things come to be and/or exist...though these in the Tejas Legends have been more sad than happy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment