Monday, October 19, 2015

Storytelling Week 9: The Happiest Fish Under the Sea

The Happiest Fish Under the Sea

Oh my, oh my, oh my.
My life as a little fish has been awful up until today.
Let me just say...thank goodness for my Grandma.

You would think I would be living the life under the sea. I mean, up on the shore they work all day. Up in the sun they slave away! We get an endless supply of water and we get to swim around all day long. It's always clear and there's never any disruption from the world above. But let me tell you. It's not all happiness down here. We've been miserable since..well...forever!

Why, you ask?
Well...these awful and mean garfish have been absolutely horrible to me, my family and my friends. They've been terrorizing us all since we were born!
Who does such an awful thing?
I used to fear for my life daily - always wondering when one of them was going to be just around the river-bend, and even beyond the shore.

So finally us kids had enough. We cried out to our Grandma (who is the river) - she always knows what to do in any situation. Whenever we need her, she's always there...and this was no exception. She didn't like the garfish, either, so it was easy to convince her to help us. And help us she surely did!

Shortly after our talk with Grandma, it started to rain...and not just any kind of rain. It was a torrential downpour. The river got so extremely full in just a few hours! We had never seen anything like it. Sometimes we go through droughts and sometimes it rains a lot, but this was a totally different ball game. We knew that something strange was up.

Turns out Grandma had a favor called in to the rain cloud that she knows. Grandma has the best of friends that always come to her help since she is so helpful herself.

Of course when the water extended to new territories, the garfish got so greedy and wanted to see if there were any other creatures for them to feast upon and terrorize.

But the joke was on them! Right as they swam up the river, Grandma dried up her banks and showed the big garfish what it was like to feel terror.

So that's why today is so great. We all get to live fear free and don't have to worry about being eaten all day long anymore!



Cute, happy fish. Source: Pixabay
Author's Note: The original story tells the same story that I wrote, but from an outsiders perspective. I didn't change any details, but I changed the style of writing. I wrote this story in a diary-style because I want to practice for my storybook. My storybook entries and stories are written in the same style and I thought it would be good practice to keep writing in that manner so that the storybook can be successful. I chose this image to include because it really looks like a happy, little fish to me.

Bibliography: This story is part of the Tejas Legends unit. Story source: When the Storm God Rides: Tejas and Other Indian Legends retold by Florence Stratton and illustrated by Berniece Burrough (1936).

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your story, and think it is interesting how in all the stories we read how all the creatures are related. How is a fish and the river related is what I normally think when I read stories like this one. This story was good, and I liked how the grandma had their backs. That’s what Grandmas are for. Recently I have read a lot of diary style post, and I think I am going to try it out for my next storytelling. All of mine have been the same so I think it is time for a change up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way that you wrote your story! I enjoy writing rewrites myself. The perspective change can make the difference in storytelling. You might include what who told the story originally, I would just like to know to compare them. I could actually read the story in a smaller voice like a little fish. Good story for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, it's me again! Great job on this week's story! The way you write your story makes it easy for the reader to follow. It's probably because you are took a few journalism classes. Your image you chose was really cute too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelsey,
    I enjoyed the way your wrote your story. The perspective change is always a fun way to retell a story. I definitely enjoyed reading your story. Also you might want include some of the original story so use as the readers can compare the differences between them. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Kelsey,
    This was definitely an interesting take on the story and I enjoyed the change of perspective. I think that when you take a story and change the perspective it really gives a new level of insight and can give a new angle for the reader to read the story. I think that you did an excellent job of writing this as if it was a diary, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete