Thursday, October 29, 2015

Essay: The Strange Myths of the Cherokee

Myth-Folklore Unit: Myths of the Cherokee

These myths were interesting. In the first part of the reading, I enjoyed the stories. I like myths and folklore that explains how certain things come to be; for example, how the deer got their antlers, how the sky turned blue, etc. They're creative and allow for an entertaining approach to how certain things came to be.

While I liked the first half, I wasn't too fond of the second part of the reading for this section. They semi-kept my interest through each of the stories, but they weren't extremely entertaining to me. They were also a little too disgusting for me...especially the one about the bullfrog. (The Bullfrog Lover)




Some of the stories were also strange, especially The Rattlesnake's Vengeance. I hope that I'd marry someone that would never consent to my death. Especially to a bunch of snakes. Also I wish that songs could heal people. If this were true, her death would not be in vain. These stories creep me out and give me uneasy feelings.

Another story that I don't understand is The Rabbit Goes Duck Hunting. I really don't understand the point in this story. Also, it was a gross image I got in my head when they author described the rabbit eating its own fur. I want my readers to come away knowing why I told the story and have them glad that they read it, not wondering why they spent time reading something that made them feel so strange.


They were all well-written and creative, I just don't always have the attention span to get through readings if they don't pull my attention the entire time. I also don't always like reading stories that creep me out or make me feel uneasy unless I'm specifically in the mood to read something like that (which is extremely rare).

They were all well-written and creative, I just don't always have the attention span to get through readings if they don't pull my attention the entire time.

No comments:

Post a Comment