Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Essay: Aesop's Fables (English)

Myth-Folklore Unit: Aesop's Fables (English)

The readings this week were particularly enjoyable. I truly enjoy reading Aesop's Fables, no matter where or what time period they are from. The morals throughout the story that are reiterated at the end are good to read and remind me about what I need to change in my own life. 
The creativity of how the morals are told astounds me. To take a single concept and develop an entire story is something in such a way is something that I strive for in my own writing for this class.

I also liked this week's readings because I got to read more about Aesop's wolves. My storybook is about the wolves from Aesop, and it was neat getting to read more about them. The character development of the wolf in the fables is very strong, because even though each story may be about a different wolf, the wolf as a character is extremely similar throughout. There's not exception in the Wolves (Smart) story that I read this week.

I also really enjoyed reading the A Lion and a Man (L'Estrange) story, so much so that I was inspired to write my story this week about it. 

 
The way the story started about made it clear that something bad was going to happen to the lion, which it did. I appreciated that the lion could walk away from his injury and learn a lesson, though. I feel as if I read a lot of stories in this class that end with much worse fates for the characters. Although they're also just as entertaining, taking a break from those types of stories and getting to read happier endings was nice for this week.

Overall, I really appreciate Aesop's Fables. I will probably seek out and read more before (and after) the end of the semester because they're short and easy and enjoyable to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment