Thursday, November 5, 2015

Essay: Nursery Rhymes

Myth-Folklore Unit: Nursery Rhymes

This week's reading was an incredible amount of fun. It was a treat to go back into my childhood simply by reading these short nursery rhymes. I had seen a lot of these rhymes before and reading them again as a twenty-one year old was a completely different and interesting experience. The imagination is still there, but with an older and more experienced voice. The fun still existed within the creative words from the author, which was a joy to realize.

(Wikipedia: Hey Diddle Diddle)
I also really enjoyed rewriting Hey Diddle Diddle for my story this week. I heard this rhyme over and over again as a child and being able to create a simple story behind a short nursery rhyme from my childhood. There are so many stories that could be behind or written from such few words, which takes an incredibly level of creativity. I am inspired and aspire to have such creativity in my writing as some of these authors do.

The words used for these rhymes are so fun. The way they're written and the way words that wouldn't normally be in stories are used make these creative rhymes fun to read. I didn't tire of reading any of these. Sometimes I have to push through to finish the week's readings but this week was different and I appreciated that. The writing style was also fun and creative.

Each rhyme was so different, yet each had that playful and joyful quality. The riddles were also a blast - I tried to guess the answer each time, but it was difficult for some of them. Well...mostly all of them.

At first glance since they are so short, there isn't much substance to these rhymes, but when you dive into them you can find a lot of substance and creativity that fills the imagination.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, I also read nursery rhymes this week and I was having so much fun going through them since I would recognize some. I will agree that choosing a story to do storytelling was very tricky since most of these rhymes were very short and detail and plot. I need to heavily rely on creativity to make sure that I could present a good story. I am relieved to find out that someone else had this struggle but was able to work with it and create something fun to read.

    ReplyDelete