Monday, September 14, 2015

Extra Reading Diary: Arabian Nights - Reading A

Myth-Folklore Unit: Arabian Nights

Arabian Nights: Scheherazade 

Scheherazade
 
I enjoyed reading this story because of the style. Not only was it easy to follow, but it was highly entertaining and vivid. The imagery was what kept me interested. I have heard this story told before, but had never read it, so it was cool to see my own imagery created in my imagination instead of someone else's. I have also seen this story depicted as a marching band show. In the summer of 2014, the Santa Clara Vanguard did a rendition of Scheherazade. You can find a short clip of this here: SCV Scheherazade.

Arabian Nights: The Merchant and the Genius 

I enjoyed this story because it made me think of what I would do if I only had a year to live. I also like how the man is so true to his word and honorable, even if it meant losing his life. I also like that these stories keep me wanting to learn more. I feel like I am the Sultan in this situation.

Arabian Nights: King of the Black Isles

 I liked this story because the town got restored to how it used to be. I did not like the enchantress because she didn't even recognize that the man she was keeping alive for a long time was not the same man in the end. And to make someone live like that is so cruel. I can't wait to read the second half for next week's extra reading.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment