Monday, September 28, 2015

Reading Diary B: West African Folktales

West African Folktales

Why the Moon and the Stars Receive Their Light From the Sun

It was interesting to read how they became the moon, stars and the sun. However, I don't know how he knew that the dragon was hungry or that the fiddle would make him go back down to earth to dance. It seemed as if he had never seen a dragon before in the beginning and now he has all of the dragon knowledge. I learned that in my stories, I want there to be a clear explanation for each event and to know how one thing leads to the next.

How the Tortoise Got Its Shell


Before reading this particular week's readings, I had never seen "determined" used as an action verb, which I thought was interesting. I also found it interesting that he had to fight for the wine instead of paying for it with money- my roommates wouldn't be happy if that were the case. They would get into a lot of fights for sure. These stories also amuse me in how they turn out. I never see the ending coming on how they actually get their shell, or how the moon and stars actually get there. But I like it and it keeps me interested until the end.

How Mushrooms First Grew

How were they able to go back and make a farm without anyone punishing them for being highway robbers?
Sometimes I just need to read the story and not think too much into it.
The brothers gathering the mushrooms is also kind of scary to think about. What if they were poisonous mushrooms? But I guess someone had to try them first for people to find out they were poisonous.

No comments:

Post a Comment