Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Reading Diary B: Jewish Fairy Tales

Myth-Folklore Unit: Jewish Fairy Tales

The Sleep of 100 Years

Illustration of The Sleep of 100 Years. Source: The Untextbook.


I enjoyed this story, because in the end, Onias had the sense to leave the world he did not belong in. That would be such a difficult decision, especially surrounded by his family, but he did it anyways. He was able to see the rise of the town he so adored and see that it did not perish, even though he slept through his entire life.

King For Three Days

I really appreciate that Rashi's words came true. The 'King' (for three days) was an awful person and ruler. He got what he deserved. I don't like reading violent stories, so I didn't much care for this one at all.

The Fairy Frog

I enjoyed this story because of the kindness of Hanina and his wife. I would not have been able to keep my sanity for that long. I did not like this story because of the frog. Although he was a great character, I don't really like frogs, so an over-sized one that talks kind of freaked me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment