Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Storytelling Week 3: A Mended Friendship

A Mended Friendship

Long ago, a man by the name of Adam housed a dog and a cat. The two animals, Doggie and Pussie, did not get along very well. They had quite the history. Once inseparable, the two now could not stand being in the same room together. 

One day, Adam called Doggie and Pussie into the living room.

"You have both lived here for two years. I have given you everything. Shelter, food, love, care, and more. You have lives here others can only dream of having. Yet, here we are, two years later and you both cannot function being around each other. I have served you and all I have gotten in return is bickering," Adam said. He was devastated, disappointed and tired of living with bickering animals. 

With shame, Doggie and Pussie listened to everything Adam had to say. Once he was finished, Adam left the room. It was clear that he wanted nothing to do with them the rest of the night.

"He's right, you know," Doggie sighed. He missed having his best friend by his side. His partner in crime had become but a stranger.

"Yes, but we have a lot to work on. Especially you," Pussie replied. Even though she would never admit it, her rude words masked her hurt feelings. She truly missed Doggie as well.

And so they worked at mending their friendship. Day after day they tried to fix things back to the way they were.

In the beginning, every day was a struggle. Doggie and Pussie would attempt to be in the same room as each other, but they would bicker nonstop. They could not get through a single conversation without frustration.

However, slowly but surely, they got comfortable with each other again. They could be together for small amounts of time without getting angry. Sometimes they would even have fun and laugh like they used to.

The small amounts of time grew bigger and bigger, until finally, they went an entire day without an argument.

"As much as I absolutely hate to admit it aloud, I have truly missed your friendship," Pussie sighed.
"I know. I feel the same way," Doggie replied lovingly.

At that moment, Adam came into the room.

"I am proud of you two. As tough as the process was, you mended a friendship and brought peace back into this home. Thank you," Adam said.

And so from that day forward, Doggie and Pussie lived in harmony as best friends, never to split again.

 

(etching by Hendrik Hondius)

Author's Note:

The Quarrel of the Cat and Dog

I chose this story because of how interesting the original one was to read. The Quarrel of the Cat and Dog focused on the relationship between the two and I wanted to expand upon that and give it a happier ending, which is why I wrote the story I did.

Bibliography: 

This story is part of the Jewish Fairy Tales unit. Story source: Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends by Gertrude Landa (1919).

4 comments:

  1. Kelsey,
    Everyone loves a happy ending! So I'm glad that you gave this story one! I like the narrative that you gave, but I think that you could have gone a little deeper and given the characters a lot of personality and given more details! Maybe if the characters had an epic battle or something to sort out their differences haha who knows something crazy! It was a good story though and you made it fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kelsey,
    I like how you focused your story around a broken friendship and rebuilding that friendship. Honestly, I can say that I can relate to this story and I believe that many others can as well. Everyone has had hardships in a relationship and this story shows that it takes a lot of work to mend, but it is worth it all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kelsey,
    Dylan here again! I like how you develop your stories and use really great imagery to tell your stories. I would like to see your images at the top of your stories to give me a better idea of what I'm about to spend time reading. Also I would suggest maybe rereading your story out loud and using word to check spelling and grammar before you publish your post. I think you should look at your tabs too. I think tabs work better on the right side instead of the left. I'm not a big fan of the orange theme either, but I know you are a big OSU fan so I understand. I'm a big fan of your dialogue throughout your stories though! I really feel like I'm in the stories and at the edge of my seat! Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This story was written well, and had just the right details. Sometimes people want a lot of details in their story that do not pertain to the lesson that is trying to be told. I like simple and sweet, getting straight to the point is what I like to read. Reading irrelevant stuff takes my attention away from what is really being said, so for that really good job! In your next story just make sure to have a more detailed authors note, for people like me who have not read the original story I did not have any back ground about the story. It doesn't have to be a full summary, maybe just some more details about what happens within the story.

    Your overall blog page looks good, and like how you have the labels at the top of the page. I am going to have to figure out how to do that because it made things so much easier and it looks better.

    ReplyDelete