Monday, September 21, 2015

Storytelling for Week 5: From the Diary of the Fox

From the Diary of the Fox

Saturday, July 3rd.

Dearest Diary,

So I had the conversation with my husband. AGAIN.

I don't think we've gone a single night without him asking me how much wit I think I have and me returning the question back at him.

I also don't think he understands what the word 'wit' means. He always says he has SO much, yet isn't even smart enough to change our kid's diapers. He makes me do it! For ALL FIVE of them!

But I really do love him. He's great company to and from our local dining place we feast at every night and he is a wonderful father. He helps clean up, does the shopping and is incredibly sweet to me.

Well, time for bed now. Maybe our conversation tomorrow will be different (HA! One can dream),

Mrs. Fox





Sunday, July 4th.



DIARY!

Okay. First, no the conversation wasn't different (shock).

HOWEVER.

We ran into a tiger tonight! Can you believe that?! In our part of town!
They aren't even supposed to be traveling near our homes.

It's a good thing this tiger wasn't very bright (but are any of them?), because my husband cowered beneath me and left me to get both of us out of trouble.

And to think - he always talks about how much wit he has. Ha.

I talked the tiger into letting us go home, which wasn't very difficult at all. I made up some story about how my husband and I didn't know how to divide our children between us. If I got two and he got three or vice versa. I asked the tiger to meet our children and help us decide. And the tiger BELIEVED IT! How lucky.

We got back to our home and my nice, courageous husband fled to the door without me. I was left alone with a tiger.

Alone.
With a tiger.
Thanks, Mr. Fox.

Lucky for me I had my wit with me and convinced the tiger to let me step inside for a bit and made absolutely sure not to turn my back on him.

Once I got inside, it was all over. The tiger could never fit through our door (though he sure tried)!

From now on I will NEVER let my husband say he's courageous or full of wit. Though he is full of something.

Until next time (because Lord knows there will be a next time),

Mrs. Fox


Foxes. Source: Wikimedia

Author's Note:
In the original story, a fox and his wife travel to find food every night. On their way back, they have the same conversation in which the wife says she doesn't have much wit and the husband says he has plentiful. One night, they were faced with a tiger. The husband cowered and showed no wit, while the wife's wit saved both of their lives and their five children. In the end, not one of them was eaten and the tiger left frustrated.
This story was my inspiration because I truly adored Mrs. Fox's character. She had wit but did not brag about it. She saved her family's lives and she put up with her boastful and cowardly husband.
I chose this writing style because I have used the same one for each of the past week and wanted to try something new. I plan on using the diary style for some of my storybook and wanted to test it out here first.
I picked this image because it is exactly how I imagined Mrs. Fox and her husband looking. Mrs. Fox is on top, looking annoyed, and her husband is cowering beneath her as the original story describes.

Bibliography: 
Folklore of the Santal Parganas by Cecil Henry Bompas (1909).

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed how you told this story through a diary post, very clever! You set it up very well, with the first post explaining how things are always the same and the husband was bragging, then used the second post to tell the rest of the story. I also liked your explanation for your picture. I did not make the same connection, but after I read your authors note, and looked at the picture I saw exactly what you meant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job with the whole diary entry! That's the approach I am taking for my storybook project! I like how as a reader, I can get into the head of the character. I also think your picture you chose is really cute! I really like your writing style, it matches your personality! I like the part where you say,"Alone. With a tiger.Thanks, Mr. Fox." I literally laughed out loud! Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this! The creativity is awesome!! I haven't seen this approach yet. It made reading the story a lot more enjoyable. The sass in the text also made it a good read. I chuckled a few times. It was believable that the fox was actually speaking. If the rest of your writing is this enjoyable, I'll have no problem reading the rest. Good job!

    ReplyDelete