Monday, September 21, 2015

Reading Diary A: Santal Folklore

Reading Diary A: Santal Folklore

Ledha and the Leopard
I like this story because of the range of characters. I have mixed feelings about Ledha because he is clever, but stayed in the forest without telling anyone. I don't like his sister because it did not mention of her ever going to look for him. I don't like the leopard because he's ungrateful. However, the crow in this story is very clever, which I like. I also appreciate that Ledha went back and helped the buffaloes in the end. I don't think this story is titled well because the leopard exits the tale rather quickly. Ledha and the Buffaloes would be a better name.

The Monkey and the Girl

I included this story as one of my three because of the way it was written. It's more of an example for myself of how I don't wish to write. For me, it was hard to follow, which made it hard for me to stay engaged and entertained. Also this story was really sad and strange. If I were to use this as inspiration to my own story, I would change the outcome and a lot about the original story itself.

The Jackal and the Crow

This story reminded me of the story "The Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly". I used to read that story as a child, which is why I liked this particular one. However, the jackal really irritated me, which made me dislike the story a little bit. I do appreciate that in the end he got what was coming to him. But I feel bad for all of the creatures he met in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment