Monday, September 28, 2015

Reading Diary A: West African Folktales

West African Folktales



Spider. Source: Wikimedia


How We Got the Name "Spider Tales"

I really appreciate how Nyankupon was honest and upheld his condition in the end. I also appreciate how clever Anansi was. The whole time I was thinking that there would be some sort of trick and that something would happen in the end with the creatures the spider caught, but everything turned out how Nyankupon said in the beginning. The characters were very straightforward in this, which I liked. It was also an entertaining read.

The Squirrel and the Spider


This story just made me upset for the squirrel. I'm glad the squirrel lost the crops. He never deserved them in the first place. It would be interesting to tell a story about the squirrel and give him more character development and a happy ending to his sad story.

The Grinding-Stone That Ground Flour By Itself


The spider is always so frustrating. I don't like his character. How I feel about his character is how I feel about spiders in general. His cousin was right to not be tricked by him, but the spider never listened. However, I also think it was wrong of his cousin to not try to help the rest of the village. He didn't need to profit, but to watch his friends and family starve without doing a thing was also not very attractive for a character to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment