Monday, September 14, 2015

Reading Diary B: Middle Eastern and Indian Unit

Reading Diary B: Middle Eastern and Indian Unit

Myth-Folklore Unit: Jataka Tales (Babbitt)

Jataka Tales: The Golden Goose

The end of this story made me incredibly sad. The daughters did not want to hurt the goose and knew better than their own mother. The goose was simply trying to be helpful. And for the mother to say not to trust the goose is ridiculous. The goose came out of his own will and never asked for anything, not even in the beginning.  There was nothing to trust or distrust about the situation they were in. I dislike the mother's character in this story, but truly love the goose.


Golden Goose. Source: The Untextbook

Jataka Tales: The Woodpecker and the Lion

I like this story because it's similar to the one I chose for my storybook! I like how stories can be similar across time and land, but be different at the same time. In both stories, I feel for the bird and think the other animal is a straight up jerk. But it is true; at least the bird didn't get eaten.

Jataka Tales: Beauty and Brownie

In this story, Brownie didn't learn very much. He didn't listen to his father's warning, and on top of that, he kept doing the things that were getting his herd killed. Beauty's character is much smarter in this story. I wish Brownie would have learned from his mistakes. Instead he just kept repeating them.

No comments:

Post a Comment