Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Storytelling Week 4: Lil Croc's Birthday Surprise

Lil Croc's Birthday Surprise 
Once there was a crocodile who loved to throw parties. She was the best party planner in town! Other crocodiles would come from miles away just to attend the parties she put on. From New Year's to birthdays, Christmas to anniversaries, she knew how to do them all and how to do them well.

When it came time for her own son's 10th birthday, she knew she had to throw him the party of the decade. Mamma Croc would do anything in the world for her son, whom she loved so dearly.

Mamma Croc wanted this party to be a surprise for Lil Croc. He always got to attend the parties she threw, but never had one for himself. She knew he would absolutely love it.


She planned everything perfectly and precisely, down to the color of the sprinkles on the cake. Mamma Croc invited everyone; friends, family, neighbors, and even her co-workers. She wanted everyone to celebrate Lil Croc's 10th birthday!

Finally the day of the party came and all that was left to do was to distract Lil Croc while the guests arrived.

"I don't know how I'm going to do this..." Mamma Croc thought to herself.

And then an idea hit her!

She had been watching the monkeys frolic near her home for days, long enough to know that they are mischievous and clever little creatures. She would send Lil Croc after one of them.


"Lil Croc, come here!" Mamma Croc yelled.

"What is it, mom?" Lil Croc replied anxiously. He was hoping it would be a birthday surprise.

"I need you to fetch me a monkey. I am craving monkey heart and must have it," she said, trying to hide the anticipation she felt for the party.

Lil Croc thought this was a strange request, but set out to do it anyway.
He tried and tried, but the monkey was too clever for him.

Saddened and discouraged, Lil Croc returned home empty handed and worried over the disappointment he knew his mother would have for him.

Instead, Lil Croc was greeted with the biggest surprise of his life!

Banners, balloons, crocodiles, presents, food and drinks filled his home. Freshly baked cookies scented the air while everyone burst out in singing happy birthday to Lil Croc.

Happiness filled his heart as his mother came to greet him.

"I'm sorry I sent you out on an impossible mission, but I didn't know how else to get you away while I set up your party! I hope you like it," Mamma Croc said excitedly.

"Like it?! I LOVE it," Lil Croc exclaimed, "this is definitely the party of the decade."





Crocodile with balloon. Source: The Whizzer


Author's Note:
In the beginning of the original story, the mother asks the son to fetch him a monkey's heart that she can feast on. The son tries, but in the end the monkey tricks the crocodile multiple times and is never caught.

When I first read the tale, the mother's request shocked me. I wanted to believe that there was more to the mother's character than her wanting the monkey's heart to eat, so I decided to tell the backstory behind the original one. I enjoy positive stories and thought this was the best way to turn a violent tale into a happier one.

I used this story to create my own because I felt that I had the ability to make that backstory something positive, creative and fun to read.

I chose this image because of how happy, young and innocent the crocodile looks. He is holding a balloon, similar to how I would imagine Lil Croc holding a balloon at his birthday party.

I want the reader to take away a positive feeling after reading this story. I want them to see the love the mother had for her child and how she really wanted a special party for him.

Bibliography: This story is part of the Jataka Tales unit. Story source: Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt, illustrated by Ellsworth Young (1912).

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsey!

    Aw, I enjoyed reading this story. After reading a lot of the stories from units I picked I was worried something bad might happen after Lil croc went to get the monkey. It was a strange request from the mother but I'm glad you made the ending more positive. It was a nice, refreshing read! I think you told it very well and I look forward to reading more of your storytelling posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey! I loved this story when I read the original but yours is absolutely adorable! The prelude to the little crocodile following the monkey for his mother is so unique and cute. I love how you took a story that was a bit...hmm, what's the word...verging on morbid? No...just maybe not something we'd necessarily tell a child today? Anywho, you took that story and you brought it down to earth for me and really made me smile. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete